1st Dec 2013 - East Coast

1st December 2013
Time: 8am to 12.30pm
Location: East Coast
Bait: Grey prawns
Anglers: Cowboy Fisherman papa, 阿辉 (me)

 A cooling and drizzling Sunday morning..  woke up at 7.15am,
Cowboy Fisherman papa has already prepared and is ready to go.. quickly took a shower and prepared fishing gears..

1st stop.. nearby market to buy bait, drinks and breakfast.. today's grey prawns are quite big.. I prefer smaller sized grey prawns to hook it whole with a size 1 Owner hook.. totally delicious if a grouper swims by..

It was drizzling when we entered the eastern part of Singapore.. didn't have a good feeling about fishing in the rain..

Quickly set up our gears to start fishing.. left my rod bag in 新仔's car from the previous Ah Lim Fishing Pond trip.. so I brought along a "LoveFisher 185" spinning rod.. (To know more about this rod, please see our product page.. "Spinning Rods".

Forgot I left my size 3000 reel together with the rod bag.. all I have in my fishing tackle bag is a Shimano Slade 1000 and an oversized size 5000 reel for my longer surf rod.. so I paired the LoveFisher 185 with the Shimano Slade 1000 that I've had for years (this reel once flew into the sea at this spot years ago together with a small eupro rod.. a nice sized parrot pulled my set up across the railings and into the sea.. was lucky Cowboy Fisherman papa's hook caught my line - that is still under the sea - managed to bring my set up back up to shore and reeled the fish in!! How lucky was that?? so this lucky reel sticked with me until now!!)

The LoveFisher 185 is surprisingly light and nice to grip. The colorful guides are really beautiful and the Bronze gradient on the rod blank looks more like a solid green under the sun light compared to under indoor conditions..

Some pictures of the place..






















 It looked really beautiful when the sun peeked through the rain clouds.. "there is a plane in the picture, it is not an UFO" 

 When the tide started to go out.. out came the rubbish.. lots of bottles.. sad..



 Throughout the morning there were many nibbles.. small ones.. really small ones.. Cowboy Fisherman papa didn't manage to catch any fishes today but I caught a juvenile ang chor kee about a palm's size.. very cute and beautiful fish (released).. hope it grows big enough and I'll get it again some other day!! haha!!



There were 2 other Malay abangs fishing together with us at the same spot and one of them caught a good table-sized sweet lips! Failed to catch any fishes with the floater and apollo rigs we tied.. I decided to try using a set of old sabiki hooks (those with small shiny whiskers that doesn't really prove to be useful in our jetties) that I used months ago and was really surprised that the Tambans are biting!! There are a bit of rust on the hooks and they aren't as sharp so a lot of fishes got away.. but they still provided me with some fun!  There was a really strong bite that Cowboy Fisherman papa also saw my rod bent.. the rusty hooks failed to secure a hook on.. was a bit disappointed.. probably a juvenile queenie or a big selar.. Didn't take pictures of the Tambans I caught with this new set up.. but it was really fun.. caught and released numerous baby Tambans - really cute baby ones ~3-5cm long only!! - the big ones were given to the malay abangs for night fishing bait..

Dark clouds began to gather above us again, Cowboy Fisherman papa made the call to pack up before the heavy downpour and so we went home for lunch..



My new found love.. this LoveFisher 185 spinning rod will be my new tackle that shall be put to test during my next paypond visit..